Many people with disabilities in Arab society suffer from social exclusion and lack of self-confidence, which affects all aspects of life. Therefore, there was a need to raise both social awareness about people with disabilities and aid in their coping with these challenges. Furthermore, we desire to empower them to develop their personal and social competence, through creatively expressing their personal stories through writing, and to develop tools and self-expression skills with an emphasis on the personal story of coping with disability.
People with disabilities with writing ability and desire will nurture and channel their writing skills and enrich the essential elements of language and verbal communication with them, accompanied and guided by professionals. And as a final product, a printed book will be produced by the participants with their own story, and will be recorded and uploaded to the International AlManarah Library website.
Objectives of the project include:
- Empowering workshop participants.
- Increasing participants exposure to personal writing and reading skills.
- Developing tools for expressive and skilled writing.
- Developing self-expression tools and skills with emphasis on personal storytelling in dealing with disability.
- Editing the written materials by the participants into a book to be published at a festive ceremony and uploaded to the library’s website.
- Raising awareness of people with disabilities and their challenges in society.